The Cordelia Congregation stopped holding regular services in 1918. The church has been rescued many times by the Swedish Lutheran community and other Friends of Cordelia. In 1938 the church was sold for $75 for destruction, but members of the First Lutheran in Moscow (Victor Ramstedt, C.B. Green, Frank Gustafson, Gust Anderson and others) saved the church and funded needed repairs.
A complete restoration was funded in 1941 by the daughter of Andrew S. Olson, Mrs. Frances Olson Graham. Andrew donated the original one-acre building site in 1883. During the 1941 restoration two pews were added where the stove should have been, all four windows were replaced and shutters added to protect the windows, the lower half of the siding on the west side was replaced, the interior was repainted and the wallpaper was repaired. Documentation of the restoration does not mention the his and hers pit toilets behind the church, but the hinges and signs in English are consistent with 1940-era carpentry. The cemetery stones were set upright. The restoration was completed in 1948. Care for the church fell on members of First Lutheran Church in Moscow, Idaho
Care for the church shifted from First Lutheran to Troy Lutheran in about 1960. Members of Troy Lutheran replaced the roof and painted the church. Sometime in the 70's the metal rod was added to the church for more wall support and to reduce the impact of the settling foundation. The church was regularly cleaned by members of Troy Lutheran Church who also held picnics at the church. In 1979, members of Troy Lutheran Church noticed the church was not really built on the one acre given by Olson. The small land swap happened in 1982 to prevent the need to move the church 20 feet to the east. In the late 1980's there was another attempt to purchase and move the church to Elk River.
Michael Houser, a student at the University of Idaho, came to the church’s rescue with a senior project about the historic church. Michael was instrumental in transferring the deed for Cordelia from ELCA Eastern Washington-Idaho Synod to Emmanuel Lutheran Church. In 1992, the stone footings to the building were replaced with concrete pilings and the lower half of the west side was resided. The outside of the church was painted. Michael’s project stimulated the formation of Friends of Cordelia and a trust fund was established for restoration and maintenance.
Mrs. Beverly Innocenti came to the latest rescue of the Cordelia Church in 1993. Beverly provided funds to purchase 35 acres (south and west) of the church (currently farm ground) and provided seed funds for a building and well. Her vision for the property involved adult education and recreation facilities. The well to the west of the Church was drilled in 1996, but was found insufficient (5 gallon/ minute) for a major building project. There are still plans for a downsized facility for receptions, dances, social gatherings, museum, and a seasonal caretaker.
In 1994, Friends of Cordelia and Emmanuel Lutheran signed a management agreement. Friends of Cordelia has authority over the following items: a) All restoration, maintenance and rental/use of the Cordelia Lutheran Church, b) Administering rental of the 35 acres farm ground including property taxes, c) Use, without congregational or council approval of funds donated to Friends of Cordelia, the income on the 35 acre parcel and from the rental/use of Cordelia Lutheran Church as long as those funds are used to enhance Cordelia Lutheran Church or preserve its history. d) Converse with Beverly Innocenti over development of modest facilities at Cordelia and be consulted concerning any future development of the 35 acres not initiated by Friends of Cordelia. Accounting for such funds in Emmanuel's annual report or at any request of the church council, would be provided.
Steps to the church were added in 1994 and the roof was replaced. In 1996, the trusts (cross supports) in the roof were strengthened with more cross braces to prevent further sagging of the roof and bowing of the walls. The organ was busted up by vandals in 1997 and was reassembled. Also in 1997, a fire in the church damaged a bible and small wooden stand on the pulpit.
In 2001, the west side of the church was again repainted and glass was replace in the southwest window.
In the spring of 2002, Alben Person’s tomb stone reappeared. The stone was present for the August 2000 Cemetery Census, but gone in 2001. A
guest registry was added to the church for visitors to sign, and this information pamphlet was published to help visitors understand the history of the church. Picnic tables were also added, buildings painted, and graves tended. In 2003, the inside window and door frames were repainted and headstone for Charles was reset on the pedestal. In 2004, a parking lot was added.
Friends of Cordelia Lutheran Church Inc officially Incorporated as a 501 (c) (3) organization on January 24, 2007 and granted tax exempt status on November 3, 2007 (see documents below).
In 2007, the shutter on the southwest window was modified to prevent birds from nesting in the window. A functional pump organ was donated to Cordelia on April 7, 2007 by John Elwood and Sally Burkhart. The organ was built by Clough and Warren Company of Detroit Michigan in about 1883. The disassembled organ was found in the basement of a Goodwill Store near Bellingham, Washington by their son who restored the instrument. The organ dedication concert was held on September 23, 2007.
In 2008, the church was painted and a hand pump was added to the well. In 2009, the wallpaper was replaced with reproduction paper matching the same color and pattern of 1883 church.
A Northern Flicker pecked 23 holes in the west and south side of the church in the spring of 2012. New siding was made to match original ship lap siding and installed. Additional bird drumming boxes were added in an attempt to focus the flicker on the box instead of the siding.
An updated MOU defining Cordelia Church and properties as a Lutheran Heritage Site was signed by Emmanuel Lutheran and Friends of Cordelia on June 9, 2013. The MOU defines the roles of Friends of Cordelia and Emmanuel Lutheran, Moscow, ID (see document below).
In the fall of 2014, the south and west sides of the church was re-painted.
The rotten wood found in the front entryway was replaced in 2015.
Join Friends of Cordelia by becoming a member. A newsletter is published in the spring and fall with articles focused on church history, activities and upcoming restoration events. We meet four times a year (third week of January; Saturday before Easter; third weekend in May; and second week in October). Contact us for exact times and locations.
We are always looking for historic photos of Cordelia and people involved with Cordelia.