Donors for Cordelia Construction
Brief biographies of contributors for the construction of Cordelia Church in 1883 by Larry Lass
Martin Anderson was born in Sweden on June 13, 1846 to John and Mary Anderson. Jerry Anderson (Great-grandson) indicated the family name may not have been Anderson in Sweden. Martin's parents were farmers. In 1861, at age 15, he worked as a seaman until he came to Boston. In 1865, he began work in the United States Revenue Cutter Service on the Atlantic. This service, established in 1790 as an armed maritime law enforcement service under the authority of the Department of Treasury, was directed to stop the smuggling of goods subject to Tariff Tax, but found a role in assisting mariners in need. Revenue cutters were designed for shallow water and speed. During war time, the service and ships were valued for their speed and ability to capture, or assist in the capture, of enemy ships and blockade runners. In 1915, the Revenue Cutter Service was merged with the Life-saving service to form the United States Coast Guard. Martin left the Revenue Service in 1871 and moved to Portland, Oregon where he spent the winter. He came to the Palouse in 1872 and settled on land six miles north of Moscow, using the Preemption Act to claim ownership. This 1841 Act permitted squatters on government land, who had lived at the site for 14 months, to purchase up to 160 acres for $1.25 per acre. The Act was repealed in 1891. Anderson lived on the property for 14 months and sold it. He then homesteaded land in Section 29 and 30 of Township 38-N and Range 5-W located 5 miles southwest of Cordelia in 1877.
On December 13, 1878, he married Eva C. Peterson, the daughter of Erik and Christina Peterson. Erik Peterson was a founding member of Cordelia. Eva was born in August of 1856 in Sweden. Martin received title to his 160 acre homestead on June 30, 1882. Their children were Laura (1879), Alfred (1881), Hattie and Oscar (1885), Mary (1888), Clarence(1893), and Printiss (1896). Printiss may have also spelled his name as Prentic (1900 Census spelling) and World War I draft records spells it as Prentiss. In 1883, Martin donated $10.00 for the construction of Cordelia. The family was Methodist and attended the church in the settlement of Blaine, Idaho near their farm. They were never recorded as members of Cordelia, although relatives of Eva were active at Cordelia.
Historic records of 1910 show Martin had acquired an additional 360 acres and also owned a house in Moscow. Eva died on December 29, 1910 and was buried in the Moscow, Cemetery. Oscar married Minnie Evans in 1915. They were reported to live on Thorn Creek in 1919 at the birth of their daughter. In 1917, Clarence married Hilma Lindquist in the Swedish Lutheran Church in Moscow. Martin died on January 11, 1918 and was buried next to his wife. Alfred died in 1938, Oscar in 1968, Clarence in 1970, and Hattie in 1974. All were buried in the Moscow Cemetery.
Anderson Family (Laura, Martin, Oscar, Alfred, Mary, Eva, and Hattie) circa 1888. Photo from Jerry Anderson.
Martin Anderson (Undated) Photo from Jerry Anderson
Anders Bloomequist (also spelled Blomquist, Blumquist or Bloomquist in Latah County Records, and later records show his given name as Andrew) was born in Sweden either in October 1849 or June 19, 1852. He came to America and Idaho in 1882. Anders homesteaded 160 acres in Section 17 of Township 38 N and Range 4 W (3 miles south of Cordelia). In 1883 he contributed $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia, although he was not a member. Title to the homestead was issued on February 2, 1889. He sold the land in 1890 and 1891, and moved to Moscow in 1894. Andrew married Johanna Stammen on April 18, 1900 in Troy, Idaho and they purchase a farm/ranch near Troy. She was born in Sweden on April 14, 1852 and came to America in 1871. Andrew Bloomquist died January 21, 1927 in Troy, Idaho and was buried in the Moscow Cemetery. Johanna Bloomquist died May 15, 1933 in Troy, Idaho.
Peter Bohman was born in Stiby socken (parish) Christianstad län Sweden on December 13, 1846. His wife, Anna Sara, was born in Aneboda socken Kronoberg län Sweden on August 25 1860. He immigrated with his brother (Ole, born in 1838) and sister (Ellen, born 1856) to West Sveadahl, Minnesota in 1869. Anna came in 1870. West Sveadahl was located southwest of Minneapolis. They homesteaded in section 12 of Township 107-N and Range 33 in Watonwan County, and received title for the land in 1876. The land was next to Ole and Ellen Bohman's homesteads. Peter and his family attended West Sveadahl Lutheran Church. The church was established in 1870. Ella Martea was born on September 22, 1880 in West Sveadahl. They came to the Palouse on February 19, 1882, to farm near Troy, Idaho. There is no record of them homesteading in Latah County, but may have been living on Ole Bohman's homestead. Ole's place was 40 acres of timber in section 11 of Township 39-N and Range 3-W, located 6 miles to the northeast of Cordelia. Ella died on August 5, 1882. Emanuel was born on January 4, 1883. The Bohmans were members of Cordelia and donated $5.00 toward the 1883 construction. Stella was born in 1885. On June 10, 1885, the family withdrew membership from Cordelia, but continued to live on the homestead. Cordelia records showed the only event in the summer of 1885 was Pastor Peter Carlson had secured land for a new church in Moscow, Idaho. Lydia was born in 1888, and Ester in 1890. On October 1, 1892, Cordelia's church council voted to accept the Bohmans as members with no ill feelings over past events. It is interesting Cordelia installed a new pastor that summer suggesting the Bohman's absence may have been related to former pastor Pastor Carlson, who was considered too strict and judgmental for many homesteaders who wanted to live the good life, which included dancing and alcohol.
Martha was born in 1892, and Cornelia in 1895. The 1910 Census reported they were still living on the farm, although they soon had moved to Ole's new homestead in Columbia County, Oregon. Ole died in 1921 and was buried in Columbia County. Ellen was listed in the 1905 census as living in Olivia, Minnesota. Further information about Peter and his family was not found.
Gustaf (Gustave) Carlson
Gustaf (Gustave) Carlson was born on October 3, 1843 in the county of Smäland located in southern Sweden. He married Anna Chritfons Johns Jatbe in 1867 and soon immigrate to Clear Lake, Minnesota. She was born on April 19, 1842 in Smäland County. Civil War records indicated he was a private in the 9th Regiment of the Minnesota infantry, for a time. While in Clear Lake, Johan Frethiaf was born in 1872, Amalia Caroline in 1873, Maria (Mary) in 1875, Carl Albert in 1877, and Atti Wilhelmina in 1879. Johan died while they are living near Clear Lake (date unknown). They move to the Palouse in 1882 and became members of Cordelia. Theodor was born in the fall of that year. In 1883, Gustaf donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia. In 1884 Gustaf applied for his first 160 acre homestead just southwest of Andrew Olsen's place (person who gave the land for Cordelia). His wife, Anna, died on February 28, 1888 and daughter, Amalia, died on September 25, 1888. He received title for the Latah County land in 1889 and applied for his second homestead, located in section 24 of Township 40-N and Range 4-W. The 40 acre parcel was located 8 miles northeast of Cordelia. He sold the 160 acre parcel in 1890 and purchased better land near Thorn Creek in Latah County. He withdrew membership from Cordelia in that year with no reason given. The 1900 census indicated the family was still living in the Thorn Creek area. Daughter Mary married Carl Milton on November 27, 1901. Gustaf Carlson died December 8, 1915 and was buried at Burnt Ridge Cemetery.
Loth Carlson was born April 19, 1858 in Sweden. He immigrated to the United states in 1881 to Fish Lake, Minnesota where an older sister (Anna Reyd) was living. He and his sister’s family moved to Latah in 1883 and became members of Cordelia on October 6, 1883. He sold $1.75 in wood to Cordelia for the pews and donated the $1.75 back to the church. In 1883 he was constructing the required home for a new 80 acre homestead in Section 7 of Township 38 N and Range 4 W, so the lumber was likely left over from construction. The size of the claim suggested it may have been forest land rather than agricultural land. The homestead was 1/4 mile southeast of Cordelia. He married Anna Louisa Nikadatter in November 1887. She was born on October 17, 1861 in Sweden and immigrated to the United States in 1887. She became a member of Cordelia on November 20, 1887. Charley Emmanuel was born June 3, 1889 and baptized at Cordelia on July 21. Loth received title for the land on November 9, 1889. Joseph Herman was born September 4, 1891 and baptized at Cordelia on November 1. John Albin (Census lists name as Albion) was born December 16, 1894 and baptized at Cordelia on March 31, 1894. Daughter Francis Regina was born August 23, 1897 and baptized at Cordelia on September 25. Loth was active at Cordelia, held several offices on the church council, and was responsible for preparing the church for monthly services on many occasions. His wife Anna died October 22, 1907 at age 46. On November 16, 1910, Loth married Johanna M. Rokke. Johanna’s husband, John H. Rokke, homesteaded land next to Loth’s and they were members of Cordelia. The family burial plot is behind the church. Johanna filed for divorce from John Rokke in 1896 because John had abandoned the family. Glen Westberg indicated a ridge near his farm home named for the Rokke family. The Rokke family moved to Moscow in 1906. Joseph Carlson died in 1910 at age 16. The Carlson family transferred membership to First Lutheran Church in Moscow in 1911. The 1920 census indicated they were living in Moscow. Johanna died in 1928. Loth lived until age 94 and died in Sedro-Woolley, Washington.
Iver Christensen (also spelled as Christenson and Christerson) was born in Norway in 1825. Iver came to Genesee in 1876 with brothers Andrew and Carl. The 1880 census listed the brothers as living in different places in township 37, and they were farmers. Iver homesteaded 162 acres in section 1 of Township 37 N and Range 5 W and 6 miles south of Cordelia. He was not listed as a member of Cordelia. In 1883, he donated $2.00 toward the construction of the church. He received title for the land in 1886 and started to sell his farm in 1888, making the last sale in 1893. No other history was found.
Erick Erickson was born in 1848 in Sweden. He married Minnie in 1868 and they moved to South Dakota that year. Minnie was from Norway and born in 1854. Cal was born in June 1876 in South Dakota. In 1877, the family moved west where Ellen was born in April 1878 in Oregon, prior to their arrival on the Palouse. Erick homesteaded 160 acres of land in Section 15 of Township 38-N Range 5-W, located about 3 miles southwest of the church. Franki was born in October 1881 on their homestead. Erick received title to the homestead on October 30, 1882. In July 1883, Minnie was born and Erick donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia. They were not members of the church and none of the children were baptized at the church. The homestead was near the Methodist settlement of Blaine, Idaho. Annie was born in 1885. Records of 1886 indicated he ran a saw mill in the area. Enoch was born in 1889. From 1891 to 1893, Erick started to sell his homestead. Ruth was born in 1896. The 1900 Census showed the family had started a new homestead in Nez Perce County, Erick was working in lumber manufacture, and Minnie was a cook. The 159-acre homestead was in Lewis County (once part of Nez Perce County) near Reubens, Idaho. It was a different type of homestead because it was a series of eight lots in Section 7 of Township 33-N and Range 2-W. Erick received title for the homestead on December 31, 1904. The title indicated it was US Reservation Land. Minnie died on February 2, 1916 and was buried in the Normal Hill Cemetery in Lewiston, Idaho. Erick continued to live in Nez Perce County until his death in 1926 and is buried next to Minnie.
Christian O. Flugstad
Christian O. Flugstad (also printed as Fludstadt) donated $3.00 toward the construction of Cordelia in 1883. Little is known about his time in Latah County other than he sold property in 1890 and moved to Seattle. In Seattle, he worked as a laborer near the water front. He is not listed in the 1880 or 1900 census records for Latah County.
Charles (Carl) Anderson Hagström
Charles (Carl) Anderson Hagström was an early homesteader and may have been on site as early as 1877. His claim in Section 10 of Township 38-N Range 5-W (located about 2 miles west of the church) fell under the April 1820 Sale-Case Entry (3 Stat 566). Carl was born on March 20, 1841 in Wormland, Sweden. He immigrated to the United States in 1869 and settled in Dahlsberg, Dakota Territory. He married Julia Nilsen (date not found), who was born on November 15, 1841 in Sullbroms, Norway. Alexius was born in 1873 and Alleent was born in 1874 in the Dakota Territory. They moved to Sioux City, Iowa where Herman was born in 1875. The family was living near Cordelia when Anna was born on September 10, 1877. Other children included Julia, 1880; Carl, 1881; and Arthur, 1882. Carl donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia. The family appeared to have transferred membership to Zion Lutheran Church in Moscow about the time of the birth of Ludrick in 1884. Tragically, Charles (Carl) died on March 4, 1888.
Engual (Enga) Halverson
Engual Halverson donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia in 1883. The given name Engual is found in Sweden but very rarely used. The donor may have been Enga Halverson who had just moved to Latah County. She was living with her husband, John, on their farm located 5 miles north of Genesee, Idaho. John came to the United States in 1870, but the date of immigration for Enga was not found. They were members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church located a few miles south of Cordelia. Enga was born on February 2, 1858. The Halversons had six children. Henry was born in 1884, Mae in 1886, Jennie in 1888, Anton in 1890, Edith in 1894 and Eddie in 1897. Enga died in 1900. Interestingly, her will was probated under the name of Louise, but the headstone read Enga. John died in 1917 at age 66, while traveling in California to improve his health. Both were buried at the Genesee Valley Lutheran Church cemetery.
Abraham Holm was born in Norway in 1847. He married Eustene in 1866. She was born in Sweden in 1846. Both of their parents were from Sweden. The family lived in Sweden until 1878 when they moved to California, and a year later to Idaho. Upon their arrival, they applied for 160 acres of homestead land in Section 12 of Township 38 N and Range 5 W. The property was about 1 mile southwest of the church. The Holms were not listed as members of Cordelia but donated $2.00 for construction of the church. The 1880 census reports their children as Albert age 12; Josephine, age 7; Charles, age 5; Amy, age 3; and Lousia, age 1. Abraham received title for the land on December 12, 1884. He started to sell his land in 1889 and completed sales in 1894. The family moved to Seattle. Sadly, Abraham died of a bullet wound to the head at age 76 on May 17, 1922.
Gustaf Johnson was born on December 19, 1843 in Sweden and came to the United States in 1868. In 1870, he homesteaded 71.61 acres in Watonwan County, Minnesota near Kansas Lake. In 1873 he married Christina Johnson, who was born on September 7, 1849 in Sweden. They had 10 children. He received title to the property on June 1, 1875 and filed for an additional 80 acres adjacent to the first. He received title for this property on July 20, 1877. Hilda Sofia was born February 3, 1875. Cordelia records show Johan Theodore was born March 27, 1876, and the 1900 census lists his name as Theodore. Thilda Mania was born on June 5, 1877, Christina Naomi on October 23, 1878, and Carl Victor on December 9, 1879. The family moved to Moscow, Idaho in the fall of 1882. Daughters Johanna Charlotta and Augusta Carolina were born on October 13, 1882. The family became members of Cordelia on January 30, 1883. In the summer of 1883, Gustaf donated $5.00 toward the construction of the building, and his carpenter skills were probably used in construction that fall. Gustaf Johnson was instrumental to the formation of Zion Lutheran in Moscow, Idaho. On Christmas Day 1883, he invited Rev. Peter Carlson to his home to meet with a small group of worshipers in Moscow, Idaho. Regular worship started in the fall of 1884. The congregation organized on October 12, 1884, becoming Carlson’s seventh western church. The family transferred membership to Moscow in 1884. Zion was renamed First Lutheran, and later became Emmanuel Lutheran. Ellen A. was born in August 1886; Olga O. in April 1890; and August W. in June 1892. Gustaf died on August 8, 1931. Christina lived until February 5, 1937. Both are buried in Moscow Cemetery.
The gift of Gustaf and Christina continued through their granddaughter. Victoria was born November 6, 1915 in Moscow to Adrian and Tilda Nelson. Tilda was the daughter of Gustaf and Christina Johnson. Victoria grew up and attended school in Moscow and graduated from Moscow High in 1933. She attended the University of Idaho for a time, and married Earl J. Olsen on June 26, 1938.
She worked for the Idaho First National Bank for many years and enjoyed visiting with friends and students. She retired from there as the new accounts clerk. Victoria was an active member of Emmanuel Lutheran Church where she was involved with the Women’s Circles and quilting group. She will be remembered for her care of others, and often drove elderly friends to appointments, or to church.
Victoria liked local history and kept many scrapbooks on the history of Cordelia and First Lutheran in Moscow, Idaho. Few historical accounts were written about these early churches without interviewing her or using materials she had either written or saved. Many Friends of Cordelia can attribute her drive to save the church to our introduction to Cordelia. She was the spark that sustains my desire to work to preserve the church.
Mr. Olsen died in May 2002. Victoria Olsen passed away on March 11, 2004. She was 88. Victoria was a founding member of the Friends of Cordelia. Surviving relatives are her daughter and son-in-law, Julie and Tom Garfield, and her son and daughter-in-law, Rudy and Robin Olsen, all of Moscow.
James M. Johnson
James M. Johnson was born in December 1847 in Wisconsin. His parents were from Norway. He married Coroline in 1876. She was born in Norway in April 1855. They arrived on the Palouse in 1882 or 1883. James donated $1.00 toward the construction of Cordelia, although he was not a member. There is no known record of where he and his family were living at the time. Sophia was born in April 1883 and son Chris was born in July 1885. He homesteaded 160 acres in Section 13 of Township 38 N and Range 4 W in 1886, which is about 2 miles southeast of Cordelia. Susanna was born in August 1887. Ingle was born in April 1891. In 1891 they sold the land and moved out of Latah County. Zelma was born in January 1899. The 1900 Census showed them living on a new homestead near Central Ridge, Idaho (near Reubens) in what became Lewis County in 1911. They received title for the property in 1908. Lewis County was part of Nez Perce County at the time. Though the historic record is unclear, James appeared to be part of a mining homestead in Cassia County in 1908 and received title for the land in 1913.
P. Johnston is reported to have given $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia in 1883. There were no other historic records for P. Johnston. It is unclear if it was spelled correctly since there were three P. Johnsons in the area at the time that have the potential of being the contributor.
1. Peter Johnson is listed as a member of Cordelia. He was born on January 4, 1848 in Wneta Kloster, Sweden. He moved to America in 1879 and became a member of Cordelia on August 18, 1885. Historic records do not show where he was living. He moved to Seattle in September 1888.
2. Peter O. Johnson homesteaded land in Section 17 of Township 38-N and Range 4-W located about 3 miles southeast of the church. He may have arrived on the Palouse in 1883 or 1884 because he received title for the land on February 2, 1889. Historic records showed he sold the land in 1892, but no other records could be found.
3. Patrick Johnson was on the Palouse in 1880. He was partnered with Owen Marrill, Martin Peterson, Herman L. Satego, Bick Indian, Martin Colns, Alexander Foster, John Haden and Jack Indian, freighting goods to the Palouse and mining sites south of Lewiston. The business was based in Lewiston. The 1880 Census lists Patrick’s occupation as a pack man. Patrick was born in Ireland in 1855. He was not working in the area in 1900 and further information was not available.
William Kaufmann and Henry Dernham
William Kaufmann and Henry Dernham established the US Wholesale and Retail General Merchandise Store in 1881. They sold a variety of goods including clothing, caps, boots, office supplies, carpets, pianos, organs, sewing machines and items for the kitchen. Their store was located on the southwest corner of Second and Main.
William Kaufmann and Henry Dernham were brothers-in-law and lived in houses next to each other at 410 and 424 B street in Moscow, Idaho. Startup funds for the 1881 store may have come from their in-laws since they married into the Hecht family wealth of San Francisco. They saw opportunity in the new town and by 1882 owned most of the block between Adams and Van Buren, and B and C streets, and several other prime holdings. In addition to the store in Moscow, they established stores in Kendrick and Denver, Idaho.
In 1883, Kaufmann and Dernham donated $3.00 toward construction of Cordelia. Their general store may have been a source for some of the building materials used in Cordelia.
In 1889, they constructed a new three story building on the southeast corner of 3rd and Main. The new store was called Dernham and Kaufman Co. They continued to be a general merchandising business that would lend farmers funds to purchase items until harvest time. Kaufmann served as a University of Idaho Regent from 1895 to 1897.
The Northern Pacific Railroad laid track to Troy, Idaho in 1890. The railroad found the train needed to take on water and wood about a half mile east of the town of Cornwall to give the steam engine a running start at the final hill. William Kaufmann donated land for the new stop in exchange for exclusive rights to run the concession. Kaufman named the stop after his son, Joel. The business turned into a town of sorts, consisting of a grocery store and post office, several grain and hay warehouses, the United Methodist Church, an Odd Fellows Hall, sawmill, skating rink, and a stage stop.
Kaufmann and Dernham profited from the panic of 1893 and the August rains that prevented grain harvest, and thus crop failure. They became owners of two grain elevators in both Moscow and Joel. They also took prime land when farmers had no grain to sell to pay their debts. On January 31, 1894, Dernham and Kaufmann paid $169.34 in taxes to the State of Washington suggesting additional business interests there.
The six-year depression following the panic, and a general boycott of those stores forcing farm sales to cover the debt, lead to the sale of their business interests and their move to San Francisco in the fall 1895.
In the spring of 1896, Dernham partnered with F. W. and A. B. C. Dohrmann, William Kaufmann, Andrew Davis, and M. H. Hecht and incorporated the Emporium Company. The general department store carried a full line of home furnishings and had over $1,000,000 in merchandise in 1902. Dernham was the general manager until 1906, when he retired. He then lived in San Mateo, California, until his death in 1916 at age 55. Dernham left a widow, Mrs. Laura Dernham; a daughter, Mrs. Herbert Rothschild, wife of the attorney; and a brother, Albert, who was president of the Emporium company. In 1916, William Kaufmann was listed as treasurer of the Emporium. William died on July 16, 1939.
The Emporium operated until 1995 when the stores were acquired by Federated Department Stores. The acquisition closed less profitable stores, but many converted to Macy’s.
Timothy J. Keane
Timothy J. Keane was born in Ireland on January 1, 1850. His family immigrated to Pennsylvania when he was 23 years old, and two years later he and his brother, James, moved to the Genesee valley of Idaho. His first homestead was 160 acres in parts of Section 18 and 19 of Township 38-N and Range 4-W, and he received title to it on September 15, 1882. His homestead was 4 miles south of Cordelia. In 1883, he donated $2.00 for the construction of Cordelia. He was not listed in the Cordelia records as a member and history record he was Catholic. His second and third homesteads were 160 acres in parts of Sections 19 and 20 of Township 38-N and Range 4-W. He received title to them in 1889 and 1892. All three homesteads were designated as Timber Culture lands and his 1882 site may have been a source of wood for the church.
On November 25, 1891, he married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Burns. Lizzie was born in 1866 in eastern Canada and immigrated to Idaho in 1890. The 1900 census indicated their children were James, age 6; Frances, age 2; and Burnerd, age 1, although later records indicated the son's names were James, Dan, and Clayton. On July 5, 1912, Timothy died from complications of kidney problems. He was buried at Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery in Genesee, Idaho.
Asbury Almon Lieuallen
Asbury Almon Lieuallen was the youngest son of Paton and Jenimia (Smith). The family name was also spelled Lewallen or Luallen, and he alternated his first name between Asbury and Almon. He was born on September 10, 1842 in Tennessee where his parents farmed. In his youth, the family moved to Iowa to farm. At age 16 he started to work on a farm near Princeton, Missouri and remained there until 1860 when he moved back to Iowa. In 1867, he moved to Walla Walla, Washington to join his older brothers who had moved in 1866. He raised horses and freighted goods for miners. For two years, he handled as many as 20 outfits moving supplies from The Dalles to the interior mining camps of Idaho. He married Mildred Clark McAttee on November 12, 1867, in Pendleton, Oregon and they had one child (Amanda McAttee Lieuallen) who did not survive. Almon sold the freight business in 1868 and moved to a freight station on the Thomas and Ruckles Road about a mile south of present day Weston, Oregon. His second-oldest brother, Thomas Tyndall, founded the town of Centerville . Almon and Mildred divorced in 1870. Mildred later married George Swaggart and lived until February 16, 1942. Asbury continued to raise horses for freighting and ranching.
In 1871, he and his brothers bought nearly 2,000 head of cattle. Asbury and Noah drove them to open grazing land four miles east of what would become Moscow, Idaho. He used the name Almon A. Lievallen to homestead 160 acres in sections 2 and 11 of Township 39 N and Range 5 W. The land is just to the north of the present day Elks Golf Course. Almon married Sarah A. Good, from Iowa, on July 4, 1871 in Lewiston, Idaho. She was living on her step-father’s homestead just to the west of Almon’s place. Almon was the first homesteader to plant apple trees in the area. Mary Ann was born in 1872 and Sara L. in 1874.
In 1875, Almon purchased the trading post at Paradise Valley (later changed to Moscow) from Samuel Miles Neff. The trading post was located on the corner of Mountain View Road and Hillcrest Drive. Almon stocked the shelves with supplies brought with two wagons from Walla Walla. In that year, Almon filed a second homestead claim for section 7 of township 39 N and Range 5 W. This land was a mile west of the trading post. Ultimately, Almon would own 3,000 acres of land in Washington and Idaho and 320 acres in California.
John T. Lieuallen was born in 1877, but with much sadness their first born, Mary Ann, died.
Almon received the deed to the first property on June 24, 1878. He sold that property to Charles Munson and got out of the cattle business.
In the mid 1870's, owners of four adjacent claims, Almon Lieuallen (NW corner), James Deakin (SW Corner), Henry McGregor (SE Corner) and John Russell (NE Corner) met at what was to become Sixth and Main, and agreed to each donate 30 acres of their land to stimulate commercial trade and become a city center. History reports they give parcels of the land to businesses and settlers to get the core group of residents and businesses started. Almon replaced the log cabin trading post with a new wood structure in the business district. By 1877, there were enough settlers in the community to attract Drs. James McCallie (dentist) and Henry Blake (physician).
Burton Lieuallen was born in 1880. Almon received the deed to the second property on October 19, 1881. In that year, he sold the dry goods business, but retained the building for rent. He focused on managing and selling his property for homes and businesses in Moscow.
The Lieuallens were members of Zion Baptist Church and donated the land for their new church in 1881. In 1883, he donated $1.00 toward the construction of Cordelia. We assumed it was a cash donation since Almon was not operating a hardware store or lumber yard in Moscow at the time.
In 1884, he built a new home at 101 Almon Street. The two-story house was in the middle of his farm fields. The first floor was living space and the second floor was open enough to allow his children to roller skate and play. He replaced his wood frame store with the first brick building in Moscow at 105 S. Main to comply with new fire codes for buildings in the business district. He rented it to Baker-Clark Bank until 1891, and a variety of other businesses after that. The brick building was replaced in 1900, and replaced again in 1960.
In 1893, Almon replaced two other wood frame buildings at 201 and 203 South Main. The Panic of 1893 and crop failure slowed the rental market. He rented to a wholesale liquor dealer for a brief period, but had to convert the 201 South Main building to office space. He was unable to rent the 203 South Main building until 1896 and it became a clothing store that later became David’s, at Third and Main.
Almon Asbury Lieuallen died on November 4, 1898 in Umatilla, Oregon. He was buried in Moscow’s cemetery. Sarah continued to live in her home surrounded by farm fields. She also managed the 424-acre farm left to her by her step-father, Lorettus Haskins. She died on June 12, 1907.
Peter N. Lundström
Peter N. Lundström, also spelled Lundstrom and Lundstrum in Latah records, homesteaded 166 acres of land in Section 30 of Township 38-N and Range 4-W, about 5 miles due south of Cordelia. In 1883 he donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia but was not listed as a member. On December 5, 1884, he received title to his homestead and sold the property in 1892. It is not known to where he moved.
William John McConnell
William John McConnell was born on September 18, 1839 at Commerce, Michigan to James and Nancy (Coulter) McConnell, emigrants from northern Ireland who worked as farmers. William received the basic education offered at the time, with periods of advanced learning between age 16 and 20 which allowed him to teach. In 1860, he moved to California where he worked as a miner. In the spring of 1862 he caught gold fever and headed to Idaho; however, when he arrived in Portland, reports of being too late for the Salmon River rush and the offer of a job to teach delayed his quest for gold by a year. The fall of 1862 brought a report of more gold near Boise and a surge of immigration. True to many gold rushes, there was little wealth to be made by the masses coming late. While he was in California McConnell noticed money could be made by supplying the miners with farm produce. He found a partner willing to join fortunes with him, and they bought supplies and headed for Idaho. McConnell farmed and sold his produce to the miners. Later in life he boasted he made more money farming in Idaho than any man has or ever will. The population skyrocketed to 50,000 men within a radius of 20 miles of Boise City, and along with this came the worst type of criminal. McConnell became a Deputy United States Marshal in Boise City from 1865 to 1866. He returned to Oregon in the fall of 1866 where he married Lousia Brown, who was born in July 1847 in Ohio. Lousia’s father, B. F. Brown, originally from Canada and living in Yamhill County, Oregon, was McConnell’s business partner in Idaho. Her mother was born in New York.
For the next five years, McConnell ranched in Humbolt County, California, but continued his residence in Oregon where his children were born: Ben F. in September 1867 and William “Willie” in June 1872, Ollie M. in December 1876 and Mamie in November 1881. In 1872, McConnell returned to Oregon as a small businessman. He became active in Oregon politics, serving as President of the Oregon State Senate. In 1878, McConnell came to Moscow to partner with James H. Maguire in a ready-to-wear clothing store. In 1883, McConnell & Co. gave the odd amount of $3.25 to Cordelia for construction. McConnell continued his residence in Oregon until 1886 when his lavish home in Moscow was completed. The family arrived on Christmas Eve, 1886.
In 1889, he served as a delegate to the Idaho Constitution Convention, and later as the first United States Senator for a short term from December of 1890 to March of 1891. In 1891, the clothing business had expanded to the point where McConnell and Maguire erected a new three-story building at 102 South Main. The store sold general merchandise, clothing and furniture, and there was an undertaking department on the top floor. Sales kept 20 seamstresses busy in the dress-making department. McConnell was elected as governor of Idaho in 1892 and reelected in 1894. His business in Moscow failed after the Panic of 1893 when money was not available to purchase new clothing or other goods. He closed the store and declared bankruptcy.
Lousia was able to declare the home as a homestead and saved it from the creditors. Eventually McConnell was able to pay all his debts. In 1893, Ben homesteaded in Idaho County and received title for the land in 1898. On April 21, 1895 Mamie wed William E. Borah in Ada County. Ollie homesteaded 160 acres in Section 1 of Township 41N and Range 1W in Latah County about 7 miles northwest of Boville, Idaho and received title in 1901.
Former Governor McConnell was appointed Indian Inspector from July 1897 to July 1901. At the time of the 1900 census all the children were living at home. The census reports the occupation of the former Governor as a government agent, Ben as a postal carrier, Willie as a miner, Mamie as a student and an occupation for Ollie was not recorded. McConnell never fully recovered from the Panic of 1893. He sold his house to Dr. William Adair, M.D. in 1901. His daughter, Ollie, married Max Lueddemann on October 7, 1903. President Taft appointed McConnell as immigrant inspector at Moscow where he served until 1925. Former Governor William John McConnell died on March 30, 1925. For more information on Governor McConnell or to visit his home, contact the Latah County Historical Society.
Geo Meeks does not appear in the public records in Latah County but two George Meeks are listed. They may be related but history does not record how. The first George Meeks appears to be a visitor and not a resident. He is mentioned once in the local historic record. The second is George Alexander Meeks and was 5 years old at the time of the $3.00 donation toward the construction of Cordelia. Cordelia’s records do not list either Meeks as members or as baptized. Second George's parents, Edward and Julaine lived on the north side of Moscow Mountain near Viola, Idaho. They had three sons and a daughter. They came from New York and Pennsylvania to homestead in Idaho. Edward worked at a sawmill as a mill sawyer or mill hand in 1883, but records do not show the name of the mill. The 1900 Census recorded that second George worked as a stationary steam engineer. The second George homesteaded 160 acres in Section 31 Township 41 N and Range 4 W near Viola in 1905, and received the deed on September 1, 1910. Records of 1911 showed the family owned a saw mill near Viola, Idaho. He homesteaded another 20 acres adjacent to the first homestead in 1935 and received the deed on August 26, 1938. The second George lived until 1964. Edward, Julaine and George are buried in the Viola Cemetery.
Barton (Bart) A. Nymeyer
Barton (Bart) A. Nymeyer was born in 1844 in Holland. It is unclear when he came to the United States, but may have been a soldier where he learned to survey. He was living in Missouri in 1872 where he married Margarett, who was born in 1854 in Missouri. Their daughter Girtruce was born in 1873 in Missouri. The family moved to Lewiston, Idaho in 1875 where he applied for homestead property using the Civil War military bonus to pay for the land in Section 1 and 6 of Township 39 N and Range 4 W. His property was located 6 miles northeast of Cordelia. In addition to farming, he continued to survey the county in preparation for homesteaders. In 1878 he ran for Nez Perce County Surveyor against Alfred Colburn and won by 95 votes. He received title for the property on June 1, 1880. In 1880 he was reelected as surveyor. The 1800 census for Nez Perce County showed Girtruce age 7, Josephine age 5, Lucy age 3 and Frederick age 1, and listed Bart’s occupation as farmer. In 1881 he surveyed new property lines for the village of Moscow, Idaho. In 1882 he ran for Nez Perce County Auditor and Recorder and lost to J. H. Evans by 68 votes. He also worked in Pullman, Whitman County, Washington as a surveyor and in 1882 reproduced early plat maps by C.H. Goodsell.
Nymeyer moved to New Mexico and in 1888 surveyed the new town site of Eddy, New Mexico in preparation for land sales. He continued to work in the area and in 1892 he surveyed for the new town of Phenix, New Mexico. In 1895, he took a position as United States Deputy Surveyor in New Mexico. He was paid a fixed amount of $2,500 per year but took on more work than originally contracted and exceeded the budget limit by $485.94, because of unfunded mandated re-surveys. He billed the Department of Interior for unapproved excess work, but the Department of Treasury disallowed the excess in 1898. In 1918 he was elected as the Eddy County, New Mexico Surveyor. Barton A. Nymeyer died on October 1, 1925 in New Mexico.
Howard Olson (listed as Olsen in the 1880 Census) was born in 1852 in Norway. He was living in Township 40 in 1880 which is just to the north of Moscow, Idaho, but not in the village of Moscow. His occupation in 1880 was listed as a pack train man. Howard married Ollie Onsend on January 16, 1881 in Moscow. In 1883, he donated $1.00 toward the construction of Cordelia. He was not a member of the church. He and his brother John were the proprietors of the Moscow Bazaar in 1886. Howard moved to Davenport, Washington in 1888 where he died in 1900. He was buried in a family plot in Davenport with his 1 year old daughter, Bertha May, who died in 1889.
Peter Olson is not listed as a member of Cordelia, but he and his wife, Emma, had Ella Regina baptized by Reverend Peter Carlson in Moscow, ID on September 23, 1883 and listed in Cordelia records. Ella was born on July 17, 1883. Sponsors were Gustaf Carlson and Anna Louisa Edwin, both members of Cordelia. Peter Olson is not listed in the 1880 or 1900 census, nor did he homestead in Latah County. In 1883, Peter donated $2.00 for construction of Cordelia.
Emmanuel and Peter Paulson
Emmanuel and Peter Paulson appeared to have been traveling together when they came to the Palouse, although little is known about Emmanuel. Peter Paulson was born on August 7, 1848 in Skåne, Sweden and came to the United States in 1869. He appeared to come to the Cordelia area in 1882 or 1883 with Emmanuel Paulson. Peter was married to Emnuli, but the date was not recorded in Cordelia’s records. Both Peter and Emmanuel gave $5.00 to the construction of Cordelia, although Peter did not become a member until 1892 and Emmanuel never was a member. Cordelia records showed Peter and Emnuli had four sons and a daughter. Author Leonard was born on April 14, 1886; Javl Fafin on April 3, 1888; Brov Arvil on February 1, 1891 (stillborn), Edward Ferdinau on September 21, 1892 and Clarane Dudelfh on July 31, 1897. All surviving children were baptized at Cordelia. The 1890 census showed Emmanuel living in Lewiston and Peter and family living in Latah County. They appeared to have moved prior to the 1900 Census and Cordelia records did not give a new location.
Nils Peter Pehrson
Nils Peter Pehrson was born on June 19, 1855 in Grefvie Sorken in the county of Skåne, Sweden to Per and Karstna. The surname was listed in Cordelia records as Perhson, 1900 census as Persen, Latah County as Person and Persen and he is buried as Pearson. His first homestead title was issued to Persen and second to Person. He came to the United States in 1875 leaving his parents in Sweden. He went to California prior to arriving in Nez Perce County in 1878 or 1879. He received title for his 160-acre homestead in Section 29 of Township 38-N and Range 4-W on October 30, 1882. The homestead was 5 miles south of Cordelia. On May 1, 1881, he became a member of Cordelia and in 1883, he donated $5.00 toward church construction.
Nils married Johanna A. Ruberg, daughter of Andrew and Mary Ruberg, in 1885. The wedding took place at his homestead. She was born in Sweden in July of 1864. After coming to the United States her family belonged to East Sveadahl Lutheran Church, a country church just north of St James, Minnesota prior to coming to Idaho. St. James is in south central Minnesota near Mankato. In October 1884 she became a member of Cordelia. They had 9 children, and 7 of them were baptized at Cordelia. Wilhelm Klaford was born on January 13, 1886; Naemi Lydia on May 17, 1887; Walter Ebeneser on September 1, 1888; and Albin Peteree on February 1, 1890. Albin died on December 12, 1890 and was buried at Cordelia. Nils started to homestead his second 160-acre claim next to the old homestead in 1890. Ester Maria was born on August 2, 1891 and Adolf Natanael in October 1893. He received title for the second property on June 29, 1894. Edla Christina was born on January 10, 1896.
Cordelia records do not show further information about the family after 1896. None of the children were confirmed at Cordelia, indicating the family may have transferred membership to Troy, Idaho. Census records indicated Clara was born in July of 1899, and they were living on the section 29 homestead in 1900. Latah County Biographical Sketches indicated Joseph was their youngest son (1900?). In 1900, Nils purchases a third farm on Burnt Ridge, located southeast of Troy, Idaho. Nils tragically died at age 50 in 1905. He was buried at Burnt Ridge Cemetery. Walter died in 1921 and his sister, Clara, died in 1922. Both were buried near their father. Johanna lived until 1945 and was buried at the Burnt Ridge Cemetery.
John Peterson was born in 1855 but his birthplace is not recorded. He appeared to have come to Idaho in 1879 and may have been related to Oliver S. Peterson. The 1880 census suggests they were sharing living spaces, possibly in a boarding house near A.A. Lieuallen. He was a butcher working in Oliver’s butcher shop. In 1883 he donated $2.00 to the construction of Cordelia, though he was not a member of the church. No further records were found, although there is evidence he remained in the area.
Oliver S. Peterson
Oliver S. Peterson was born in Sweden on August 13, 1845 to Swan and Cecilia Peterson. He immigrated to the United States in 1868. He moved to Utah, then to the Pacific coast prior to moving to Moscow, Idaho in 1879. He opened the first butcher shop in Moscow. Oliver married Eugenia Montgomery in November 1880. Eugenia was born in Oregon in 1858 and her parents came from Michigan. Millard was born in 1882, Oliver in 1884, and Mannie in 1887. In 1883 he donated $2.00 to Cordelia, though he was not a member. The business thrived until 1890, when he sold the meat processing business. He focused on his business and residential rental properties in Moscow for a steady income. He lived in the south part of Moscow, commonly known as “Swede Town”. The 1900 census listed his occupation as a farmer and living south of Moscow but not in the city limits. Oliver applied for a homestead in section 14 of Township 33 N and Range 5 W near Genesee, Idaho but in Nez Perce County. He received title for the property on April 22, 1912. Oliver S. Peterson died in 1922 in Clearwater County.
Jesse Wayne Randall
Jesse Wayne Randall was born October 2, 1855 in Wisconsin to Almeron and Mary Ann Randall. He was the fifth of fourteen children. The family immigrated from Scotland prior to the American Revolutionary War and settled in New York before moving west as land opened for settlement. They moved to Illinois in 1847, then to Wisconsin, then back to Illinois. In 1869 his family moved to Missouri. He moved to Douglas County, Oregon at age 17 and worked as a farm hand for 6 years. In 1877 he married Frances Sutherland in Oregon. They moved to Latah County to homestead on land in section 7 of Township 38 N and Range 4 W, just a little to the south of Cordelia. Ernest was born in September 1881. Jesse received title to the land on June 1, 1882 and immediately applied for his second homestead on property just to the north of their first homestead. In 1883, Jesse Randall donated $2.00 toward the construction of the church, although he was not a member. John was born in April 1884. Jesse received title for his second homestead on February 2, 1889 and his daughter Rena was born in November. Daughter Jessie was born in February 1899 and son Jesse was born in 1902. Mr. Randall suffered from rheumatoid arthritis and at age 42 retired from farming and moved to Moscow, Idaho. His son John took over the farm operations. Ernest worked in the Latah County Auditor’s office for a few years. Jesse Wayne Randall died on January 27, 1919 after spending the last 5 years of his life confined to his bed. His oldest son Ernest died in December of the same year. Frances lived until June 22, 1930.
John E. Randall
John E. Randall was born January 6, 1851 to Almeron and Mary Ann Randall. He was the third of fourteen children. The family immigrated from Scotland prior to the American Revolutionary War and settled in New York before moving west as land opened for settlement. They moved to Illinois in 1847, then to Wisconsin, then back to Illinois. They moved again in 1869 to Missouri. In 1873 he came west with the Wheeler family. On September 20, 1871, he married Mary Elizabeth Wheeler. Mary was born June 20, 1857 in Missouri. Their son Almearso was born in April 1877 in Idaho. In 1879 they homesteaded land in Section 6 of Township 38 N and Range 5 W located 6 miles west of Cordelia. Arthur was born in March 1879 and Alfred in 1881. Eva was born in April 1883. In 1882 Cordelia congregation considered building a church on his property, but a split vote resulted in delays in site selection. John donated $1.00 toward the construction of Cordelia on the Andrew Olson Homestead, although he was not a member of the church. Cordelia records list H. Randall as the contributor, but H. Randall did not live in the County. A second look with better magnification determined it was J.E. John received title to the land on March 10, 1884. Daughter Ora was born in 1890 and Mattie in 1892. John suffered from Bright’s disease, an inflammation of the kidney, and as a result retired from farming in 1890. He and his wife moved to 1005 E. 6th Street in Moscow. John E. Randall died October 27, 1925 at age 74 and was buried in Moscow Cemetery. Mary lived until November 20, 1934.
Warren D. Robbins
Warren D. Robbins was born in January 1847 in Illinois to James and Susan Robbins. He was a civil war veteran. He married Elizabeth, who was born in February 1849, also in Illinois. He and his brother Asa come to the Palouse in 1875. He used his Civil war bonus to homestead 160 acres in section 17 of Township 39 N and Range 5 W in 1875, and a second time 1878 in the same section. He receive title for the first property on January 30, 1879 and for the second property on February 10, 1883. The property would ultimately develop into southeast Moscow, Idaho. Clara was born in 1873 and Lena was born in 1876, both in Idaho. In 1883, he donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia, though he was not a member. During the 1880's he owned many properties in Moscow, and briefly operated a merchandise store. He represented Latah County in the first state legislature and signed the Idaho Constitution in 1889. In 1889, Clara died and Warren sold most of the land holdings in the Moscow area. The family moved to Boise sometime after 1893. He died December 20, 1920 in Boise and was buried there. Elizabeth died November 8, 1921 in Lewiston.
John Rosell was born on April 4, 1848 in Jönköping, Sweden. He came to the United States in 1868 and settled in Vasa, Minnesota (west of Redwing). His wife, Charlatta, was born on June 25, 1851 in Algutsboda, Sweden, and came to the United States in 1869. Hulda Agusta was born on March 3, 1876 in Vasa, Minnesota and Emila on March 16, 1879 in Welch, Minnesota. They moved to the Palouse and became members of Cordelia Church on March 5, 1882. Frank Henry was born on January 13, 1883. John donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia that fall. He homesteaded 160 acres in sections 5 and 8 in Township 38 Range 4-W, two miles to the east of Cordelia. He received title to the land on June 20, 1890. John received his citizenship in 1892. Both Hulda and Emilia were confirmed on April 9, 1993. Something went seriously wrong in 1894 and John transferred his property to Charlotta. His daughter, Hulda, married William Bellow in Lenville, Latah County, Idaho on November 24, 1895. John and Charlotta did not appear in the 1900 Idaho census. John died in Lewiston, Idaho on January 2, 1919. Frank married Della Fiscus in Cassia County, Idaho on November 17, 1929. Frank registered for the World War I draft listing Nezperce County as his place of residence, suggesting the family continued to live there.
John (Johan) Ryd
John (Johan) Ryd was born on March 22, 1838 in Agunnaryd Parish, Sweden. His wife, Anna, was born on March 10, 1838 in Nöbbled, Sweden. The family immigrated to Chisago Lake, Minnesota with another relative, possibly an uncle. The uncle, John P. Ryd, was a farmer. Ida Sofia was born on October 18, 1873 near Chisago Lake. Amanda was born on December 21, 1875 and Jenny on November 23, 1879 near Spring Lake, Minnesota. They moved to the Palouse on October 6, 1883 to help Loth Carlson with his new homestead. John and family were listed as members of Cordelia and in 1883 contributed $10.00 toward the construction. Ida and Amanda were confirmed at Cordelia on December 1, 1889. The family moved and was not in the 1900 census. No further information was found.
Scandain Grove and New Sweden (Bernadotte) Lutheran Churches
Three churches gave funds for the 1883 construction of the church. John Carlson (the pastor's son) recorded the funds as a special collection. Scandian Grove and New Sweden (Bernadotte Lutheran), 10 miles apart, were listed in the records with a single donation of $8.69 for construction. The records did not indicate how the funds were transferred to Cordelia.
New Sweden Lutheran Church was officially started in the spring of 1866 under the leadership of Pastor John Pehrson of Scandian Grove, but history dates it back to 1858 as a settlement church. In 1851 when land opened for homesteading, future members arrived in the area. Earlier Swedish settlers took homesteads near Scandian Grove leaving the late comers property further to the west near the Bernadotte settlement. Although late comers were involved in the formation of Scandian Grove, bad roads and the long journey prevented regular attendance. They started to worship in local homes instead of traveling.
In 1859, the Conference (Synod) assigned Pastor Cederstam of Scandian Grove to visit the new settlers, but he was unable to find the settlement. Pastor Eric Norelius, a Swedish Lutheran Missionary, visited in 1861 and was the first Lutheran Pastor to visit them. In 1862, worshipers were visited by the interim pastors of Scandian Grove, Andrew Jackson and Peter Carlson of East Union, Minnesota. Carlson later established Cordelia (see his history on our website at cordeliachurch.org).
Rev. Pehrson 1890 (ELCA Website)
John Pehrson, the new pastor for Scandian Grove, continued to serve the new settlement with monthly visits when the weather permitted. Sunday morning worship was held in John Magnus Peterson's home, with services lead by him in the absence of Pastor Pehrson.
In 1866, the congregation was officially organized as the New Sweden Church and Isak Johnson donated land for a building site and cemetery. Five years later there still was no building, although membership was growing. In the spring of 1871, the trustees of the new Bernadotte school allowed the New Sweden Church members to add 20 feet on to the school house for a meeting place, and they voted to secure an additional 40 acres at the site donated by Johnson.
Carl M. Ryden, a recent graduate of Augustana College and Seminary, was called to become their first resident pastor in the summer of 1871, with a salary of $400 per year. Pastor Ryden was born in Sweden and served as a teacher and organist. He and his wife immigrated to America in 1868.
In the summer of 1871, plans for a building were started, but members living to the south complained the site was too far north. During the second congregational vote, John Hed offered to donate 10 acres located 3 miles south of the church's property, which was accepted. This was no small coupe because church members had planted five graves at the old property where the building should have been built. Nonetheless, Hed's offer was accepted and they purchased an additional 40 acres from the railroad around the newly donated property. A building committee was formed and plans were made for constructing both the church and parsonage. The parsonage was built first and completed by December 1, 1871.
The church was started in the spring of 1872 and completed in 1873 for a total cost of $1607. The building, which measured 50 by 36 feet and was 16 feet tall, was dedicated in 1873. Under Ryden's leadership the congregation grew. He oversaw a relief effort when crops were destroyed by grasshoppers. He helped organized the Clearlake and Winthrop Lutheran churches. In 1883, members of New Sweden collect funds for Cordelia.
In 1885, Pastor Ryden accepted a call to Marshfield, Oregon. Erik Hedeen was called to be the pastor of New Sweden. He was a classmate of Ryden. He and Clara (his first wife) had also immigrated from Sweden. Clara died that year, leaving Pastor Ryden with two children. In 1886 he married Christina Johnson and they enlarged the family with four more children. During Hedeen's tenure church records were formalized and the annual meeting was changed from May to January. He accepted a call to Provo City, Utah in 1888.
Nils Olof Grunden accepted the call to be the new pastor of New Sweden in the summer of 1888. He was the pastor at Little Plum, Wisconsin, but more noteworthy he was the son-in-law of Pastor Ryden, the first pastor of New Sweden. That fall the congregation built a new parsonage. The old parsonage was moved to add a wing to the church and became the youth chapel. The church changed its name to Bernadotte Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1890.
Rev. Grunden's ministry was a time of intense activity, spiritual awakening and growth. He was known to be a strong preacher stressing law and consequences of sin as well as Gospel and grace. Membership grew to 525 adults and 472 children. A new church was built next to the old one in 1897. In 1901, Pastor Grunden resigned and accepted a call to Moorehead, Minnesota. Rev. F. E. Sard, pastor at First Lutheran in Lafayette, served the church during his vacancy.
Round oak furnace circa 1900
John Hjalmar Nelson accepted the call in 1902 fresh from seminary. On arrival, he started a parochial school and there were 108 students within two years. The school closed in 1923. Pastor Nelson left in 1905 and his replacement was Carl Benard Lenard Boman. In 1913, for $600, the youth installed two round oak furnaces. In 1925, electricity was added to the church replacing the gas lights installed 4 years earlier.
The Bernadotte Band (community/church) held the first Lutefisk Supper at the church in 1927. They served 200 people for 35 cents a ticket. Today, the Suppers have been replaced by an Ice Cream Social with a community band playing.
In 1933 Pastor Boman retired after serving for 28 years, and the church then called Oscar Edwin Olmon in the fall of 1933. He was their first American born pastor and he spoke Swedish fluently. During his pastorate, the cross on the steeple blew down in a 1940 blizzard and was replaced, and indoor restrooms were added to the church in 1941. In 1945 Pastor Olmon accepted a call to Montevideo, Minnesota.
Rev. Otto T. Ericksson accepted the call to be the new pastor. Ericksson was the last pastor to have part of his salary based on farm income from the church property. In 1947 the Ladies Aid Society installed a 12 burner stove with two large ovens in the church kitchen. In 1951 Rev. Ericksson accepted a call to Almelund. Bernadotte had no pastor for a year for the 392 members and 85 children, during which time Dr. George Hall of Gustavus preached and Pastor Gottfrid Berg took on the ministry care.
Pastor Stanley Swanson accepted the call in 1952 and stayed until 1956. Maurice L. Swenson was then called. Bernadotte began use of the red Service Book and Hymnal in 1958, and stained glass windows were added to the church in 1966. The church steeple and bell tower were repaired in 1969. Pastor Swenson retired in 1974.
Pastor Bill Beyer served next. During his ministry bi-monthly outdoor services, and youth activities including yearly canoe and bike trips, flourished. Pastor Beyer accepted a call to International Falls, Minnesota in 1980.
Pastor Jim Walfrid moved into a newly remodeled parsonage in 1981. The church entrance was enclosed in 1984. The pastor resigned in 1985 to further his studies at the University of Minnesota.
In 1986 Pastor Jeff Zust accepted the call to serve. In 1987, the church published their first monthly newsletter with a mailing list of 200 recipients. As a county church, Bernadotte membership followed declining rural populations. Pastor Zust resigned in 1994 to become an Army Chaplain.
Garry Grunzke was called next. In 2003, three churches, First Lutheran Church of Lafayette, Bernadotte, and Swan Lake Lutheran Church of rural New Ulm voted to create Fields of Grace Lutheran Parish. Pastor Grunzke died on July 28, 2010 at age 61. In 2011, Todd Nelson was called by Fields of Grace (Bernadotte / First / Swan Lake Lutheran Churches). He currently serves the three churches.
Thank you to Pastor Nelson for sending me the125th anniversary book for Bernadotte Ev. Lutheran Church. It proved to be a valuable resource for this article.
Rev. Cederstam (ELCA Website)
Scandian Grove Church was first established in 1858 by Swedish settlers in Nicollet County, Minnesota, organized under the name Första Svenska Envangeliskt Lutherska Församlingen Scandiangrove. Pastor Pehr A. Cederstam helped steer the new congregation of 40 individuals. He also served First Lutheran of St. Peters, Minnesota. In 1861 they completed the construction of a church with 13 foot high walls and three windows on the sides, with a little steeple at one end.
Watchers of the History Channel know in January 1861 a large block of southern states seceded from the United States and the Civil War broke out that summer. Two battles in Minnesota between Native Americans and settlers have been credited to that war, but were not really related to north/south and slave ownership issues. The Santee Sioux of Minnesota, angered by the failure of the United States to meet treaty obligations in 1861, killed about 800 settlers and soldiers throughout the Minnesota River Valley. These conflicts impacted Scandian Grove church and a few members were killed by tribal members. Then Pastor Cederstam, out of concern for his family, sought a safer location. The church hired Pastor Andrew Jackson, traveling missionary, and also used Pastor Peter Carlson of East Union, Minnesota to fill in. Carlson later established Cordelia (see Carlson's history on our website at http://cordeliachurch.org).
In 1863, John Pehrson accepted the call to serve the church as the pastor. His starting salary was reported to be $180 per year with the bonus of 16 bushels of wheat and 6 bushels of oats. At the time of his retirement in 1882, the church had 250 members and 182 children. The church again used traveling pastors to fill in while the congregation looked for a new pastor.
The collection for Cordelia's construction must have been made in the spring or early summer of 1883 to arrive in time for construction. There is no record of who may have presented the need for funds to construct Cordelia. It may have been Pastor Harry Ryde, the pastor from Bernaotte Lutheran which was the closest church of the Augustana Synod. Synod President Erland Carlsson would have visited during the time of pastoral vacancy to help in the call process. Pastor Peter Carlson, first pastor of Cordelia, was a seminary student of Erland Carlsson in 1858 and provided guidance to Peter during his missionary years in the west.
Bengt S. Nystrom, age 26, accepted the call to serve as pastor in the fall of 1883. In 1884, the new pastor suggest establishing a building fund for a larger church. As a joke, members voted to assess each member 10 cents per year for said fund, but they had no plans to build. It took another 4 years before they established a building committee.
Scandian Grove Lutheran Photo from Norseland Preservation Blog.
Construction moved quickly on the new building, and they dedicated the new church on December 20, 1888. Nystrom served as pastor until 1890. The pastors serving next were John H. Randahl (1891-1905); John V. Soderman (1905-1910); Johannes Fremling (1911-1916) and Carl O. Lund (1917-1920). They all spoke Swedish, although English services were held every other Sunday at 3:30 P.M. In 1917, during World War I, the national push for standardizing the language was strong and most churches converted to English as part of their patriotic duty.
Early records of Scandian Grove indicated they used dues to fund the church operations and pay the pastor. In 1892, each landowner was assessed $8.00 per year for general expenses, plus every man was to contribute $4.00 and each woman $3.00 to pay Pastor Randahl's salary ($600). In 1893, the dues were adjusted so each land owner paid $1.25 per 40 acres but not more than $12.00. Children attending the Swedish school paid $1.00 per year. Interestingly, the pastor's salary never changed in 14 years of service at Scandian Grove.
Dr John Ford succeeded Pastor Lund in 1921 and served until 1924. During Ford's tenure the parsonage was outfitted with a 32 volt electric light plant that sporadically worked, but was better than kerosene lamps. Pastor O. J. Nelson came to Scandian Grove in 1924 and served until his untimely death in 1942.
While Nelson was pastor, the 1930's economic depression hit hard and the congregation was unable to meet its obligations. The church attempted a pledge system of stewardship, but the congregation rejected the idea and used a modified dues system where couples were to give $15 or $10 and young people $5, but many gave less than that. The congregation borrowed from the bank for needed repairs and general expenses. The bank notes were paid with funds raised by the Woman’s Society, Sewing Circles, and Luther League (students). To make matters worst, in the middle of the financial crisis it was discovered the treasurer could not account for some of the money intrusted to him, due to sloppy bookkeeping.
The congregation called Paul J. A. Gustafson after Nelson's death in 1942, and he served until 1948. The next pastor was Emeroy Johnson. He was the first Minnesota-born pastor to serve at the church. On arrival in 1948, he took up the challenge of converting the finances from dues-based to a pledge system with weekly envelopes. Meeting some resistance because of past failures, he was able to fully explain the new system and it was ultimately adopted. No one suggested the dues return. He was the first pastor of Scandian Grove to have his salary significantly increase while serving the congregation.
Pastor Johnson retired in 1965 and Orville Anderson became pastor. When Orville moved to Lake Park, Florida in 1972, Charles Humphrey was called to serve as pastor. A new pipe organ was installed in 1976. Pastor Humphrey announced his resignation in December 1977.
Norman Belland started as the new pastor on Saturday July 1, 1978 and conducted has first worship on July 2. He was fresh out of seminary and this was his first church. Three days later, July 5, 1978, the church and contents were destroyed by fire. The chimney and front wall were all that remained.
Scandian Grove found a temporary place of worship in neighboring Norsland Lutheran until the full damage could be assessed. The church bell was broken to pieces in the fall. The alter cross was found but bent and the base was gone, but it was repairable. The salvaged cross become one of the few items from the old church when the new church was built.
The new church construction was started in 1979 and the completed in 1980. In 1996, a new pipe organ was installed.
Scandian Grove continues to hold services in the new church on Sundays at 10:00 am. Their annual lutefisk dinner attracts over 1,000 lutefisk lovers. Their current pastor is Jerry Lane. They have an active Luther League and Women of ELCA organizations.
Bernadotte Ev. Lutheran Church
Scandian Grove Lutheran Church (new building after fire)
Charles W Shields
CHARLES W. SHIELDS (not related to Jim) was the business end of Jim Shields’ successes. Charles would ultimately become one of the largest property owners and the driver for many local businesses in the county.
Charles was born to farmers Henry H. and Mariam H. (Hill) Shields in Davidson County, North Carolina on July 25, 1861. His mother died when he was age 2, and she was buried at Forsythe, North Carolina. His father enlisted in the Confederate Army, and was killed in the battle of Winchester in 1864. He lived with his grandparents until their deaths in 1877. Charles completed public school and worked his way through college. Upon graduation, he worked for two years for Holt Manufacturing Company, a cotton dealer. In 1885 he accepted a position in a tobacco firm in Winston, North Carolina.
Charles was hired in 1887 by Jim Shields to work in the office, and became a partner in 1890. They owned the largest hardware and implement business in the county.
On August 2, 1893, Charles married Mary McConnell, the niece of Governor McConnell. Her parents were R. D. and Ann (Nickle) McConnell. Mary was a member of the Presbyterian church. She operated a small millinery shop on Main Street during the 1890's and was on the first library board in 1903. They lived in a two story house at 221 N. Adams.
The partnership with Jim survived the 1893 panic, but reorganized in 1897 to close less-profitable ventures and focus on moneymakers. Charles formed a new partnership with Charles A. Frantz, formerly of Boise, established Moscow Hardware Company, specialized in plumbing goods and ran a plumbing shop in the old hardware store. The modernization to indoor plumbing proved to be profitable and they carried the largest stock of its kind in the entire county.
Charles continued his partnership with Jim in producing electricity for Moscow, Jim as the President and Charles as the secretary and treasurer. He also developed a partnership with W. L. Payne to purchase 320 acres of rangeland on the edge of Moscow.
After 1900, Charles became the vice president of the First National Bank, located in a three-story brick building at 301 S. Main in Moscow. The bank was started in 1885 by Dorsey Baker and Herbert Clark and called the Baker-Clark bank, located at 105 S. Main. It was sold in 1889 and the name changed to First National Bank of Moscow. In 1891 the bank moved to the 3rd and Main location. The bank shared the main floor with hardware stores until 1955, and used the second floor for professional office spaces and the third floor for lodge meeting rooms. The building was torn down in 1965 and replaced with the present structure which is currently U.S. Bank.
Charles died in 1953, and Mary lived until 1960.
Michael Joseph “Jim” Shields
Michael Joseph “Jim” Shields has been called the best and most successful of the pioneer businessmen in Moscow. He was born on September 15, 1853 in Lockport, New York to John and Jessie (Tyan) Shields. Jim received his basic schooling in Lockport with additional education in Rochester, New York. At age 18, he moved to San Francisco. He moved to Moscow in 1878 and became a major business force in early Moscow. His core business was located between 402 and 404 South Main, currently the location of Hyper Spud. It started in a two-story wood building with a meeting room on the second floor. He sold hardware, stoves, carriages and wagons.
About 1880, Jim married Georgina Agnes (last name unknown), who was born on November 14, 1857. Daughter Georgina Agnes was born on March 15, 1881 and died two weeks and two days later. Alfred John was born on October 16, 1882 and died on June 4, 1884. Mrs Shields died on April 10, 1884.
M. J. Shields donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia in the summer of 1883.
In 1885, Jim married Sarah A Henry. She was the daughter of John E. and Mary Henry of Thomaston, Maine. They had four children who survived: Fred M. born May 1888, Madeline M. born January 1890, James H. born February 1891, and Louis H. (birth-date unknown). Two children did not survive: Linus Joseph, September 5, 1886 to March 1889, and John, August 28, 1887 to September 6, 1887. Jim and his family belonged to the Roman Catholic Church in Moscow.
In 1889, he replaced the wood structure with the first three-story brick building in Moscow. The building was the first to use modern electricity, generated by Shields, to power the first freight elevator in Moscow. Moscow was booming. In April 1889, Jim started a wood planing mill on the southwest corner of 6th and Jackson to make finished wood for his construction business. In the first month of operation the mill received 50 wagon loads of rough cut lumber and employed 16 men. In November, he added a 60-kilowatt steam powered electric generator. The boiler was heated with cord-wood and scraps from the planing mill. As a contractor he built his own buildings, the McConnell-McGuire building in 1891, plus several large schools in the region. Jim’s companies employed from 30 to 60 people prior to the 1893 panic.
In 1897, Jim Shields reorganized those businesses which were not as profitable following the Panic of 1893. In 1898, the Moscow electrical grid was hooked to “high tension lines” from Asotin, Washington, giving residences power during the day. He later hooked into the power grid in Spokane and secured rights to provide power to Pullman, Garfield, Colfax, Oaksdale and Palouse, Washington. The power business was ultimately sold to Washington Water Power Company.
In 1899, Jim got out of the saw mill business and focused on implement sales and growing and marketing grass seeds of all kinds. Jim was credited for introducing Smooth Brome to the area for a forage grass, which more than tripled the productivity of a pasture. He obtained 1,200 acres of prime farm land from homesteaders and used the land to produce grass seed and raised about 200 head of cattle on land that could support 500 head. Jim died on June 24, 1909.
Anders (Andrew) Swenson
Anders (Andrew) Swenson homesteaded 160 acres in Section 28 of Township 38 N Range 4 W in 1879. His homestead was 6 miles southeast of Cordelia. In 1883 he donated $5.00 toward the construction of Cordelia, but was not a member. He received title to his property on April 10, 1884. He is not listed in the 1880 Census nor listed as a land owner in 1890. Records show an Andrew Swenson died in Damascus, Oregon in 1924, who was born in 1845, which would have made him the right age to have served in the Civil War and homesteaded in Idaho. Damascus is located southeast of Portland. It is unclear if Andrew traveled to Damascus.