On his arrival, Missionary Pastor Peter Carlson held services for about 30 worshipers on October 31, 1880 in the home of Erik G. Peterson. At the next service held on November 7, there was unanimous desire to organize a Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. The congregation was officially organized on November 14, 1880 with 18 charter members. They resolved that the name of the congregation would be “The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, Cordelia, Nez Perce County, Idaho Territory”. The charter member families of the congregation were C.P. Anderson and family, C.J. Linquist and family, Isaak Linquist, O. Westendahl and family, Julius Schumacker and family, John W. Carlson, Andrew E. Carlson, John Turner, E.G. Peterson and family, Edward Peterson, Carl Andrew Hagström and family, and Peter Mortenson.
Carl P. Anderson was working on a homesteaded when he became a member of Cordelia. He did not file for the Sec 31 of T39-N R4-W (about 1 mile NE of the church) homestead until 1885. Carl was born in Skäne, Sweden on April 7, 1839. He married Ida Mathilda Pauline Andersen and they immigrated to Millville, Minnesota in 1868. She was born on January 16, 1844 also in Skäne, Sweden. They had six children while at Millville (Carl John, 1869; Gustaf Albert, 1781; Emil Hriatmor, 1872; Ida Theresia, 1874; Ellen Henrietta, 1876; and Arvin Theodor, 1878). While at Cordelia, four more children were born (Oscar Adolf, 1880; Elof William, 1882; Alma Cloilotta, 1885 and Oscar Waldener, 1887). Tragically, Oscar Adolf died on January 28, 1883. Sons Carl and Emil were confirmed at Cordelia on June 6, 1886. Church records show young Carl moved in 1890 and it appears the family also moved on January 9, 1892, but a new location is not given.
Andrew Emanuet Carlson was born to Peter and Christina on September 13, 1861 in their home in East Union, Minnesota. He was baptized on September 28, 1861 and confirmed on May 20, 1877. Andrew and his brother came to Lenville to homestead in the summer of 1880 and selected land in Section 7 of Township 38 N Range 4 W. The 163.11 acre site was located about one mile south and one-half mile east of his brother’s site (just south of Lonestar school). Andrew married Kate L. Higby. Shoshone County recorded the date as June 1, 1889 and the 1900 census indicated it was in 1889. Yet, Andrew recorded land sold in 1888 as Andrew E. Carlson and wife in Latah County Land Records when he sold his land to John W. Carlson on December 13, 1888 and July 12, 1889. It was interesting Andrew added “and wife” to the sales record since legally his wife could not hold property in Latah County at that time. Cordelia’s records showed Andrew transferred membership to Zion in Moscow on July 4, 1889, but did not indicate if he was married.
Andrew moved to Wardner, Idaho, a mining town south of Kellogg. Fay Ford Carlson was born to K. L. and A. E. Carlson in 1891. Andrew was instrumental in having the State of Idaho recognize Wardner as a town. His occupation was listed as a bookkeeper in the 1900 census. In 1894, he ran for Shoshone County Clerk, but lost to Barry Hillard. The family later moved to Boise, Idaho.
Fay Ford Carlson married Vernon Raymond Bell in Boise, Idaho on June 3 1913. Vernon was born on February 24, 1897 and died January 1973 in Laketown of Rich County, Utah. Laketown is on the south end of Bear Lake near the border of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. Andrew E. Carlson continued to live in Boise until at least 1914, but further information was not found. Vernon and Fay moved to Colorado, then Michigan and later to California.
John W. Carlson was born on August 28, 1856 to Peter and Christina Carlson. Peter, first pastor of Cordelia, was selling Bibles in the Bostvicks Valley near La Crosse, Wisconsin at the time. John was baptized on September 15, 1856 and was confirmed at East Union, Minnesota on April 23, 1871. John and Andrew (second son of Peter and Christina) moved to Lenville, Idaho Territory in the summer of 1880. John chose to homestead land in the northeast corner of Section 1 of Township 38 N Range 5 W. The 159.57 acre site was the next homestead to the north of Andrew Olson’s site (current location of the church). John W. Carlson received title for his homestead on April 10, 1884.
John found it necessary to travel with his father because of Pastors Carlson’s declining health. In the fall of 1884, he helped his father build a 34 by 50 foot church building in Seattle. They completed the church in mid-February 1885. John Carlson started to sell some of his land holdings to consolidate and prepare to purchase others. His first sale was to Jacob Navenfrian in February 1888. John W. Carlson transferred his membership from Cordelia to Zion in Moscow on July 4, 1889 and may have moved to help his father. From 1890 to 1891, he sold his homestead land in Latah county to Oliver Peterson, Jacob Navenfrian, Joseph Niederstat, Gideon Parker, George Brumer, and Jay (Ray?) Woodworth.
John W. Carlson died in Portland on December 6, 1896, after being diagnosed with stomach cancer. His remains were brought back to Moscow and the funeral was held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church with final viewing at the Elks lodge before burial in the Moscow cemetery.
Charles (Carl) Hagström
Charles (Carl) Anderson Hagström was an early homesteader and may have been on site as early as 1877. His claim Sec. 10 T38N R5W (located about 2 miles W of the church) fell under the April 1820 Sale-Case Entry (3 Stat 566). Carl was born on March 20, 1841 in Wormland, Sweden. He immigrated to the United States in 1869 and settled in Dahlsberg, Dakota Territory. He married Julia Nilsen (date not found), who was born on November 15, 1841 in Sullbroms, Norway. Alexius was born in 1873 and Alleent was born in 1874 in the Dakota Territory. They moved to Sioux City, Iowa where Herman was born in 1875. The family was living near Cordelia when Anna was born on September 10, 1877. Other children included Julia, 1880; Carl, 1881 and Arthur, 1882. The family appears to have transferred membership to Zion Lutheran Church in Moscow about the time of the birth of Ludrick in 1884. Tragically, Charles (Carl) died on March 4, 1888.
Carl (Doc) J. Linquist
Carl (Doc) J. Linquist and family may have lived with Isaac Linquist since Carl did not receive land through the homestead act. Carl was born in Elghult, Sweden on September 11, 1838, and moved to the United States in 1854. He was a veteran of the Civil War where he may have served in the medical core. He was married to Emilia (date not given), who was born in Hellebury, Sweden in 1857. They lived in West Seward, Minnesota where Marice was born in 1875 and Gotgrid in 1878. Carl was the largest contributor to the Cordelia building fund. They had four children while at Cordelia (Reinhold, 1881; Josef, 1888; Clifford, 1885 and Eaton, 1893). Clifford and Eaton died about three months after birth. Carl had acquired a knowledge of medicine and enjoyed quite an extensive practice while he farmed and ranched. The family moved to Astoria about 1898, and later to Portland where Carl established a photography business. Carl died of a heart attack in June of 1912 at age 75 while delivering pictures. He sat down to rest on a bench beside a grocery story at the corner of 22nd and Thruman streets and was found by a store clerk. The obituary indicated he was survived by two sons and a daughter, but does not mention his wife.
Isaac Linquist homesteaded in Sec 6 of T38-N R4-W (just east of the church) and received title to the land on March 10, 1885. His claim fell under the April 1820 Sale-Case Entry (3 Stat 566). He was born in Linhafords, Sweden in June of 1816 and came to the United States in 1859. He was not married when he was a member of Cordelia. Cordelia records list his name as Isack. He was not listed in the 1880 or 1900 census.
Peter Mortenson left little to record his brief stay in Latah County. He did sign the incorporation papers as a member but was not recorded in the membership book. He may have come from Renville County, Minnesota but little is known about his past. Lelia M. Mortenson (wife?) homesteaded 172 acres in section 19 of T38-N and R4-W (about 3 miles south of the church) under the April 1820 Sale-Case Entry (3 Stat 566) and received title to the property in 1885. This suggests Peter may have homestead in Lelia’s name. The 1880 and 1900 census does not record the family was living in the county. The list of 1883 patrons contributing to the church construction did not show either of their names.
Edward (Edwin) Peterson
Edward Peterson did not leave a traceable record while he was a member of Cordelia. The name appears in the Cordelia records in a single location under a list of members when the church organized. The list was written by a single hand and the name appears after E. G. Peterson. The signature on the incorporation papers looks like Edw???. Edward’s name does not appear in the 1880 census and he did not homestead in Idaho. It became obvious E. G.’s son, Edwin, was mis-identified as Edward. Edwin was 21 years old (old enough to be a member) and a homesteader. Edwin receive title for his 160 acre homestead located in Sec 25 T38N R5W (about 5 miles west of church) on March 10, 1885 and sold it to his father in 1888. He applied for a second 160 acre homestead in Sec. 13 T38N R5W (about 2 miles south of church) on January 7, 1890. Both parcels were purchased outright under the 1820 homestead authority allowing for a cash sale of the land to recover the costs to the government. Edwin married Emma R. Halverson on June 15, 1893. Emma was born on August 2, 1870; Clarence on February 23, 1896 and Emmet Raymond on January 21, 1897. His wife, Emma, died twelve months later on December 31, 1897 and their son Emmet died on April 20, 1900. Edwin married Pauline Krick on June 9, 1900. Pauline was born in 1868. They had four children: Edwin Jr.and J. Adrain born on February 9, 1905; Elmore born on September 17,1905 and Charles (no date). They remained on the homestead until 1919, then moved to Clarkston, Washington until 1930 when they returned to the homestead. In 1931, his second wife died.
Edwin continued to farm until 1933 when his daughter (Adrain) and husband (Idah Nelson) took over operations. Elmore married Ruth Inez Oursland in 1938 or 39. Their son, Marshall, indicated the marriage was in Idaho. In retirement, Edwin liked to travel between his children’s homes in Idaho, California, and Colorado. Edwin died in 1940 while visiting his daughter in Colorado and is buried in the Genesee City cemetery. The family still farms the Peterson’s homesteads and regularly visits Cordelia.
Erik Gustaf (E. G.) Peterson was born in Sweden in March 1828. Records of Cordelia indicated his place of birth was Ovunga Saskin in the county of Wätgotten, Sweden and may have been Pastor Carlson’s spelling for Western Jutland, Sweden. His parents were Petter Andersson born in 1795 and Ingerd Andersdotter born in 1790. He married Chneftena Fredrikeditter (Christina Frediksdotter), who was born in the same town, on August 29, 1832. While living in Sweden, Augusta Mattilda, was born 1858, Edwin in 1859, and Johan in 1862, and Sehna in 1869. In 1871, they came to America and moved to Vermillion (Clay County), (South) Dakota Territory. Edwin’s death notice indicated the family may have come to America in 1868, but Census records indicated it was 1871. Census records also indicated Chneftena’s name was translated to Christina, Johan’s to John, and Sehna’s to Alana when they came to America. While living in Clay County, Linus was born in 1873 and Albert in 1875. Erik first visited the Puget Sound country in 1876. His family soon followed and settled on his 160 acre homestead in section 25 of T-38-N R-5-W (about 4 miles south of the church) in the spring of 1877, just before the Nez Perce Indian War. The 1880 Census recorded slight spelling variations: Erick (Erik), Christina (wife), Edwin, August, John (Johan), Alana (Sehna), Linuw (Linus) and Albert. The land patent office recorded Erik’s name as Ereck Gustave Peterson and he was issued title to 160 acres on December 5, 1884 suggesting he filed for the homestead in 1879. John and August were confirmed at Cordelia on April 16, 1882. Erik died on November 28, 1895 and was buried at Cordelia, but later moved to Genesee Valley when Cordelia was disbanded. Descendants of Erik still own the homestead, and a grandson (Vernon Peterson) helped restore Cordelia in the 1990's.
Vernon August Peterson helped stabilize the church’s foundation and attended many of our early meetings and picnics. He was born on the family farm in the Genesee Valley on July 2, 1920 to Albert and Mary “Dollie” Johnson Peterson. He attended Genesee schools where he played football. Vernon married Verla Triplett of Ahsahka, Idaho under the archway of their home in Genesee on October 6, 1944. He worked both on the family farm and at the University of Idaho for 21 years, retiring in 1981. Vernon continued to manage the farm in retirement. In 2004, Vernon and Verla celebrated their 60th wedding Anniversary. He was a life-long member of Genesee Valley Lutheran Church.
Vernon died Wednesday, July 27, 2005 and was survived by his wife Verla at there home in Genesee, son David and Carol Peterson of Lewiston, and three daughters, Diane Hermann and husband Bernie of Moses Lake, Washington, Jean Owen and husband Greg of Boise and Debra Russell and husband Steve of Roseburg, Oregon; 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Vernon Peterson (sitting) and Marshall Peterson, Jay Nelson, Dan Nelson, and Robert Peterson (Standing L-R).
(Photo from Marshall Peterson)
All are decedents of Erik Peterson.
Julius Schumacker apparently lived on John G. Schumacker’s homestead Sec 7 T38-N R4-N (about 1 mile SE of the church) when Cordelia started, and may have come with Carl P. Anderson and family to homestead. He started to homestead in 1885 at the corner of Sec 4, 9 and 10 of T38-N R4-W and was issued title to the land on June 21, 1890. Julius was born on January 16, 1844 in Skäne, Sweden. He married Sophia in 1876. She was born in Tyrkland, Germany on May 5, 1857. They both immigrated to the United States in 1874 and may have met on ship. Julius and family moved to Michigan. They lived in Millville, Minnesota where Fredrick Herman Henry Johan Schumacker was born on May 20, 1877. Prior to coming to Idaho, they moved to Walla Walla where Julius could find work on the railroad. He had learned the blacksmith trade in Australia prior to coming to the United States. In about 1880, they moved to timbered homestead land located near Lenville and built a log cabin. They had seven more children while living at the homestead (Oscar, 1884; Emma, 1885; Gustaf, (William), 1888; Alfred, 1890; Julia, 1892 and Ellen, 1894). Fredrick was confirmed at Cordelia in 1893 and Emma (Amy) in 1895. The family transferred membership to the church in Moscow in 1895 or 1896. The 1900 Census listed Julius’s occupation as a farmer. Author’s note: The spelling of Schumacker varied through history and it was also spelled as Schumacher in most Schumacker Family records.
Julius Schumacker Family
A Friend of Cordelia, Herman William Schumacker, grandson of Julius provided many of the historic photographs used in the newsletters. He was born on December 10, 1915 to William H. and Stella Gamble Schumacker.
Herman’s father, William Herman Schumacker was born in 1888 and confirmed at Cordelia on May 31, 1903, by Pastor Nelson. He was schooled at Lenville and completed all the required five grades. William started to farm 80 acres of poor land using two of horses and a one bottom plow borrowed from his dad. He married Stella Gamble in the winter of 1914 at the Presbyterian church in Moscow. Stella’s parents bought the old Schumacker homestead.
William and Stella had three sons, Herman, Andrew, and Benard. William continued to farm in the Lenville area. They moved near Aspendale School (a few miles north of Cordelia) where Herman completed the required eight grades. At the urging of his parents, Herman attended high school in Moscow, Idaho. He commuted back and forth in a 1923 Model T and graduated in 1933. He worked on his father’s farm. Herman married Eva Hancock on May 26, 1940. William gave the couple the farm near Genesee. Herman remembered driving by the old white church often, but never realized at the time it was the old Cordelia church his father often spoke about, but never pointed out.
Herman farmed for three years until polio forced him to sell the farm. In 1944, he attended Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois where he earned an Associate of Arts degree in horology (watch repair and jewelry business) in 1946. He returned to Lewiston, Idaho to work for Bill Haynes of the Diamond Shop. In 1947, Herman and Eva moved to St. Maries, Idaho and opened Schumacker’s Jewelry Store. Eva died in 1971 after a long fight with cancer. He sold the business to his son, Richard, in 1978 and continued to work part-time for a while. Herman enjoyed traveling and visiting unique places. He was a member of the Community Presbyterian Church, was very active in the community, and was a member of the Elks Lodge, Kiwanis Club and Chamber of Commerce. He enjoyed bird hunting.
Herman died on November 19, 2004. He was survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Richard and Lana Schumacker of St. Maries; his daughter, Susan Pentland of Spokane, Washington; four grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Andrew and Bernard Schumacker.
Another grandson of Julius, Kenneth Milton Bezold, also provided additional historic photographs used in the newsletters. He was born February 4, 1918 in Moscow Idaho, the oldest son of Julia Josephine Schumacker and Theodore John Bezold. He was the cousin of Herman Schumacker. He spent his early years in Alberta, Canada, but returned to live with his Grandmother Schumacker in Idaho while attending high school. On his graduation in 1936 he continued studies at the University of Idaho, graduating in 1941. His first teaching job was in Twin Falls, Idaho where he met Eleanor Williams, his future wife. They married in Boston in 1945 while Ken was in the service.
In 1953 Ken received a Master’s degree from the University of Idaho. He taught school at Cascade, Eden, Hazelton, Rupert and Twin Falls. He was active in the Arabian Horse Association, Retired Teachers Association, 4-H and enjoyed working at the livestock yard. Ken was proceeded in death by his wife, his parents, and his brothers, Ted and Bob. Ken and Eleanor had two daughters, Eleanor Joy (Ed) Nielsen and Kenna Lee (Glenn) Arrington, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren at the time of his death. The funeral was June 13, 2005 at the LDS church in Twin Falls.
John (Johannas) Turner homesteaded Sec 32 of T39-N R4-W (about 1 miles NE of the church) and received title to the land on April 10, 1884. His claim fell under the April 1820 Sale-Case Entry (3 Stat 566) where land was used by the military to pay soldiers for their service or sold to pay for government debt. The land price was set at $1.25 per acre, the same as the filing fee for the 1862 Homestead Act. The homesteader was required to live on the property and show improvements for five years to receive the title to the land. Many homesteaders who settled near Lenville fought in the Civil War or Nez Perce War and used this method to acquire land in Latah County. John was born on December 19, 1859 in Vasa, Minnesota. His brother, Carl A. Turner, joined Cordelia in 1881. Neither were married. Both transferred their memberships to Tacoma, Washington on October 26, 1885.
Olaf Westendahl was born in Torskog in Dalalon County, Sweden on March 12, 1829. He married Klara who was born on February 10, 1831 in the same town as Olaf. Carl Saloman was born on June 24, 1862 and Amfania Victoria was born on January 17, 1866 also in the same town. They immigrated to the United States in 1868 and settled in Union County, Dakota Territory. The original family name was Anderson but was changed to Westendahl when they came to the United States in 1868. Westendahl may have been derived from Wester Dahl, a valley in Sweden. They had two sons in Dakota Territory, Johan Albert on September 18, 1869 and Johan Frederick on May 28, 1872. Johan Alfred was confirmed by the Cordelia Congregation on April 16, 1882. The 1880 Census indicated Albert, Alfred, Amanda, Carrie (Clara), Charles and Oliff (Olaf) were living on a farm in Township 38. Government Land Records suggested they did not homestead and may have purchased land or helped work the land of another homesteader. Amanda may have been working in Lewiston since the 1880 Census appeared to have counted her twice. Johan Frederick died on October 19, 1888. Cordelia records indicated they moved in 1888 and the 1990 census indicated Olaf, Clara and John A. were living in Moscow. Clara died January 16, 1914 in Lewiston. Charles Solom Westendahl died on October 26, 1947 in Kendrick, Idaho.